It’s finally done! I’m embarrassed to admit it, but building this loft bed took me over 3 years to do and even longer to get all the videos edited and posted. This project was started when child #4 (Cora) was on the way and the boys needed to start sharing a room. It was finished when Cora was 3 years old. It was interrupted by various things during that time including other projects and just life in general. I learned a ton while working on it (and acquired a bunch of new tools), but I am glad it is finally completed.
In this last video in the series I finished everything up on the bed, including building a small shelf at the front with a hidden compartment for all the things my son wants to hide away from evil ninjas trying to steal his stuff (aka his siblings). One of the biggest things I learned was that when you are planning to use stain to finish a project, you need to be very cautious about where your glue is ending up. If you have watched any of my woodworking videos you will have noticed that I tend to use way too much glue. I’ve also learned that poplar is not one of the best woods for taking stain as well.
I managed to get all the sanding done, as well as staining (with Minwax Jacobean) and several coats of poly. Overall it turned our great. There are definitely a few things I would do differently if I did it over again, but I have no plans of tackling another loft bed any time soon. Check out the video below for all that went into getting the bed finished up!
Make sure to follow me on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to keep up with all my latest projects!